Week of November 5, 2017
Brothers and Sisters,
After a wonderful morning of worship on All Saints Sunday last week, we were stunned and heartbroken to return home and learn about the massacre at First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs. I meant what I said in my sermon about the importance of investing our heart in places where it would break; never did I expect we'd have such an immediate reminder of how heartbreaking the world can be.
To the extent we have something do in response to such evil and to try to prevent it from happening again, we must make sure we do so with hearts that are aligned with God — hearts towards the victims, towards our society, and yes, even towards the perpetrator. To that end, I'm so thankful to our Daughters of the King for identifying the need for a candlelight service of prayers at St. Andrew's in response to these shootings, and thankful to Dana Jean for planning the liturgy. It's tomorrow at 7 pm.
Though less connected to the national news and national psyche, there's a lot else coming up at St. Andrew's soon. Where will you be a part of our life together?
- Service of Prayers — Nov 9, 7 pm: A time of remembrance and prayer for those who recently died at First Baptist Church in Sutherland Springs, Texas, and St. Alphonsus in Fresno, California. All in our community are invited to come and bring their hurt, fear, sadness, and hope to God.
- Taco Tuesday — Nov 14: The BlessMobile is headed back to Merritt for our next Taco Tuesday. Last month we served over 150 people, so we need your help. To sign up to bring food, or to go and help serve, please use this sign up link.
- Senior Luncheon — Nov 16, 11:30 am: Come enjoy St. Andrew's Seniors fellowship for our Thanksgiving Luncheon on Thursday, November 16 from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Our guest speaker will be talking about Being Thankful for Others.
- Mom's Night Out at Design and Mine — Nov 17, 6:30 p.m.: The children's and family ministry is hosting a Mom's Night Out for our moms to get to know one another and fellowship together. Come to Design & Mine where we'll make a seasonal 12x12 decorative wooden sign. The cost is $25 per participant for supplies. Because of the need to order and prepare supplies, participants need to RSVP ahead of time on Design & Mine's website. So go sign up right now.
- Believe McKinney 5K, 10K and 1 Mile Fun Run — Nov 25: Have you signed up to participate in the annual Believe run on the Saturday after thanksgiving, yet? A St. Andrew's and City of McKinney tradition, proceeds from the race support the Episcopal mission school, Holy Family, in east McKinney. Take it easy on the fun run, run (or walk) the 5K, or try to beat Fr. Andrew in the 10K. Sign up online.
We had a great Commitment Sunday last week. Thank you to all of you who have already committed their prayers, pledge, and participation to St. Andrew's in 2018. If you haven't yet had a chance to turn in your commitment card, bring it with you on Sunday (or pick up a blank one in the narthex if yours is lost) and place it in the offering plate. You can also fill out a virtual commitment card online. Thank you so much!
Don't forget, you can always check out our website for information on the events coming up a little farther in the future, as well as listen to past sermons. Blessings on the rest of your week friends!
May the grace and peace of our Lord be with you.
In Christ, Andrew+
See the service calendars for this week by using the links below:
St. Andrew's Episcopal Church | 972-548-7990