Week of November 19, 2017
Brothers and Sisters,
Happy Thanksgiving! I hope it is full of food and fun and rest, and I urge you not to forget that "thanksgiving" is a word with an active verb in the middle of it: "give." This is not "thanksfeeling" — feeling thankful is great, but this is a holiday to give thanks to those whose lives mean the most to you, and of course to our God, from whom all good gifts come.
If you're busy traveling this holiday, I pray for safe travels and joyous reunions. If you're not, I look forward to seeing you at worship on Sunday, and maybe even at Believe on Saturday. Here are some of the important things coming up soon at St. Andrew's:
- Thanksgiving Holiday — Stuff That Isn't Happening: There is no Wednesday evening discipleship or Thursday morning Bible study. The church office will be closed Wednesday afternoon, and on Thursday and Friday.
- Believe McKinney 5K, 10K and 1 Mile Fun Run — Nov 25: Burn off those Thanksgiving calories and raise money for a wonderful mission of the Episcopal Church in McKinney. The Believe run/walk in downtown McKinney on Saturday is a lot of fun, and proceeds from the race support Holy Family preschool in east McKinney. If you haven't already, sign up online.
- Women's Friendship Circle — Nov 27, 7 p.m.: The Women's Friendship Circle is meeting at St. Andrew's this month. Please bring an appetizer to share. If you need child care, please let the church office know so we can get that scheduled.
- Advent Family Night — December 1: Get into the Advent and Christmas season with this annual St. Andrew's tradition. We'll enjoy a pizza dinner and then have lots of Advent crafts and music, and even a visit from St. Nicholas. For dinner, we ask a contribution of $5 per person / $20 per family. RSVPing helps us know how much food we need. You can do so by emailing our Children and Family Minister, Stephanie Van Kirk ( ).
- Bread Ministry — St. Andrew's is partnering with Tom Thumb and local area social service ministries to make sure that bread and pastries make it into the hands of those who are hungry rather than the landfill. We pick up on Tuesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays, and are in need of volunteers to help take the goods from the stores to our partner agencies. If you're interested in helping, email Hands and Feet.
Looking a little farther afield, it's time to sign up your children for our annual Christmas pageants. We have three of them this year, and you can sign up online.
Don't forget, you can always check out our website for information on the events coming up a little farther in the future, as well as listen to past sermons. Blessings on the rest of your week friends!
May the grace and peace of our Lord be with you. Happy Thanksgiving!
In Christ, Andrew+
See the service calendars for this week by using the link below:
St. Andrew's Episcopal Church | 972-548-7990