Week of January 7, 2018
Brothers and Sisters,
What a wonderful Sunday we had last week to kick off 2018, baptizing three young children into the new life of Christ! I can hardly think of a better way to begin the year as a church than coming alongside three young children as they begin their lives in God's household. And I'm excited about all the the Lord will accomplish here at St. Andrew's in 2018. God has anointed us with a calling to transform lives — both in and outside of the church walls — with the love of God in Jesus Christ. Below are a selection of the things coming up real soon around here:
- Exploring Episcopal Worship starts TONIGHT: Whether you're new to the Episcopal Church or a seasoned veteran of liturgical worship, this series will deepen your understanding and enrich your worship of God. NB: Explaining Episcopal Worship is a required component of adult and youth confirmation preparation this spring. There are four sessions in the series, and we're offering it twice. You can attend just on Wednesdays, just on Sundays, or some combination of the two.
- #1: What is That? • Jan 10, 7 pm • Jan 21, 12:30 pm
- #2: Who Does What? • Jan 17, 7 pm • Feb 4, 12:30 pm
- #3: Instructed Eucharist • Jan 24, 7 pm • Feb 18, 12:30 pm
- #4: Praying with the Propers • Jan 31, 7 pm • Mar 4, 12:30 pm
- Connecting with the Gospels, Wednesdays 7 pm, TONIGHT: A Wednesday night (7-8 pm) forum for convivial fellowship focused on the Gospel reading for the following Sunday. No advance preparation is required. We will learn the gospel from one another as we read and share it together.
- Confirmation for Youth and Adults Starting: Confirmation is the sacramental rite (an act by which you receive God's grace) in which a bishop lays hands on you as a sign of your adult profession of faith and participation in the community of the Church. It is for youth (beginning in Jr High) or adults coming to the Episcopal Church from another tradition. We have both youth and adult confirmation classes this spring — if you're interested and haven't done so already, please email Fr. Andrew (adult) or Benton (youth) so that we can get you more information.
- Meet St. Andrew's — January 14, 12:30 pm — Meet St. Andrew's is for newcomers and those interested in membership. It includes a tour of the campus, lunch with the clergy, and an introduction to our vision, values, and history. It's also a great chance to answer any questions you have about the parish. Children are welcome; after lunch they can play under the supervision of our childcare staff. To RSVP, please email Brandi McSwain with your name and the number coming.
- Financial Peace University — Begins January 18 — We're bringing back the 9 session Financial Peace University course to St. Andrew's. It's taught by Dave Ramsey, and each session presents steps and tools to get your personal finances to places you've only dreamed of (which in turn has wonderful effects on your spiritual and mental health). Classes meet from 7:00-8:30 pm through March 22nd. This course is open to all members of the community, so friends are welcome and encouraged. Registration is online, click here.
- Annual Meeting — Our annual parish meeting will be held between the 9:15 and 11:00 am services on January 21. We'll receive the annual report form 2017, hear an overview of the budget passed in 2018, elect new vestry members and delegates to diocesan convention, and hear about plans for the year ahead. The meeting will start about 10:20 am -- please plan to stay late at 9:15 for come early to the 11:00 am service.
I know that many in our parish community have been struggling with illness and the flu. May God's hand of comfort and healing be with you, and please reach out to the church if there's anything we can do (or if God forbid, you end up the hospital).
May the Lord's peace and love fill your life this week.
In Christ, Andrew+
See the service calendars for this week by using the links below:
St. Andrew's Episcopal Church | 972-548-7990