Week of February 11, 2018
Brothers and Sisters,
This week we are entering into the holy season of Lent, the forty days of preparation to which the Church calls us each year in advance of Easter. I hope you'll make plans to join us for some of our special events this week, and to do whatever it is in your own life you need to do to prepare your heart and soul for Easter. Here's what's coming up this week:
- TONIGHT: Shrove Tuesday Pancake Supper: As I write this, our Great Hall is being decked out in Mardi Gras costume, the pancakes are sitting (in unrealized powder form) in the kitchen, and special guests bacon and sausage are in the refrigerator. Hope to see you tonight — we start serving at 6:30 p.m.
- Ash Wednesday — February 14, 12:00 noon and 7 p.m.: While the conjunction of Ash Wednesday and Valentine's Day is unfortunate, this February 14 is very much Ash Wednesday. Both our services will feature the imposition of ashes and Holy Communion.
- Exploring Episcopal Worship — Sunday Series: If you're attending the Sunday series (12:30 p.m.) of Exploring Episcopal Worship, our third meeting is this coming Sunday, Feb. 18, after the 11 a.m. service. Jason VanBorssum will be leading the session entitled "Who Does What?" about the roles in worship and in the church.
- Senior Lunch — February 15, 11:30 a.m.: It's the week for senior lunch again. This month's theme is (belated) Valentine's Day. Always a great time.
- Game Night for Adults — February 17, 6 p.m.: Bring a game or two and an appetizer to share. This will be a great opportunity for fellowship with old friends, new friends, and people from other services.
- Community Prayer Tour — February 17, 10:30 a.m. - 12 noon: If you've never been on one of these, you need to go. We start in prayer at St. Andrew's, and then loop through the east side of McKinney where we will see and learn about many of our community partners. Email Hands and Feet to sign up.
For more on our plans this Lent, check out the dedicated page on our website. Of course, there's lots of good non-Lenten information on there as well, and on our Facebook page. Missed a week or two due to the weather, you can also listen to (or read) past sermons. May the Lord's peace and love fill your life the rest of this week.
In Christ, Andrew+
St. Andrew's Episcopal Church | 972-548-7990